Wouldn’t it be wonderful if a person had the benefit of experience in their teens, but there’s only one way to have that view. I wish I really could have known these things when I was struggling:
1. Pimples don’t last forever.
2. Don’t waste time trying to get in with the “cool” kids. Real friends are accepting, not exclusionary.
3. It’s okay not to have a boyfriend or girlfriend. There’s plenty of time for that. It’s not a contest.
4. If you have a bad feeling about something, avoid it. You have instincts for a reason.
5. No need to make excuses for meanness. Every person is responsible for himself.
5. Don’t excuse cruelty. People don’t hurt you because they love you. They hurt you because they want to.
6. People mean what they say in anger. Anger is like alcohol. It loosens inhibitions.
7. My parents weren’t malicious. They were just human with a houseful of kids and many demands on their time and resources. They were looking at the big picture.
8. Work a little harder in school.